Quick Vegan Pho
A total bowl of health. Pho will warm you up, make you feel nourished, and is the perfect soup to fill you up!
For the Broth:
- 2 L vegetable broth (8 cups)
- 3 cup(s) water
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 4 clove(s) garlic roughly chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves (the spice)
- 1 inch piece(s) fresh ginger sliced into coins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soy sauce to taste
- 1 package wide rice noodles
For the Toppings (use whatever combo you like):
- fresh basil (Thai basil is preferable if you can find it)
- fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- Fresh green onions
- Mung bean sprouts
- Hot peppers (I like Mirasol peppers, which are long, red, and not very spicy)
- Sautéed mushrooms (I like shiitakes)
- Sautéed tofu
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- Add the broth, water, onion, garlic, star anise, whole cloves, ginger, and cinnamon, to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and add soy sauce as needed. The amount you need will vary a bit depending on your taste preference and how salty the broth you used is, I used 2 tablespoons.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil and cook your rice noodles. Follow the package directions or if there are none, cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the noodles cooking.
- When everything is ready, serve by adding noodles to a bowl, using a ladle to collect the broth (leaving the onion and spices behind), and then top with garnishes of choice.
Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Sodium: 1341mg | Potassium: 41mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 0.3mg