Pumpkin Lentil Shepherd's Pie
The bottom layer is a hearty mix of lentils, mushrooms, carrots, and sun-dried tomatoes, and the top layer is garlic mashed pumpkin with maple syrup!
For the lentil layer:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 8 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 2 19oz can(s) lentils (or 4 cups cooked) drained and rinsed
- 1 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup(s) sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
For the pumpkin layer:
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 3 clove(s) garlic
- 1 796ml canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat your oven to 425F (220C).
- To make the Lentil Layer: in a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms decrease in size, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, sun-dried tomatoes and all the spices. Heat through until everything is hot and bubbling, about another 5 minutes.
- To make the Pumpkin Layer: melt the vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute until soft and fragrant. Add the pumpkin, maple syrup and salt, stir to combine and health through.
- To assemble the Shepherd's Pie: Spread the lentil mixture on the bottom of an oven-safe casserole dish. Pour over the pumpkin mixture on top and spread evenly. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the Shepherd's pie is heated through. Garnish with the toasted pumpkin seeds before serving.
If you want to make the Shepherd's Pie ahead of time, skip baking and cover until you are ready to heat it. To heat from cold, cover the pie with foil and bake at 350F (180C) for about 20 to 30 minutes until heated through. Remove the foil and crank the temperature to 425F (220C) and bake another 15 to 20 minutes until hot. Enjoy!
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 477mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2975IU | Vitamin C: 6.2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1.4mg