Cut Out Sugar Cookies
Servings: cookies (approximately)
- 2 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground chia or ground flax
- 3 tablespoon(s) water
- 3/4 cup(s) vegan butter
- 3/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) almond extract
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 2-4 teaspoon(s) plant-based milk or water
- A few drops of food colouring (optional)
To make vegan sugar cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax or chia, and the water and set aside to thicken which will be almost instant if using chia, but take about 10 minutes if using flax.
- In a third bowl beat the vegan butter and sugar together until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining wet ingredients including the flax or chia mixture, and mix well. Add the wet mixture into dry and combine until a dough is formed. I used Earth Balance vegan butter, but I have found that sometimes the moisture levels in vegan butters are different, so if your dough does not come together, add up to 1 tablespoon of water until the dough just comes together.
- Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick. Now pop it onto a baking tray and chill the rolled dough in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once chilled, cut your cookie shapes and lay them on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Re-roll remaining dough until it’s all used up, chilling in between if needed. Bake 8 - 11 minutes.
To make the icing:
- Add the powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of plant-based milk or water, and food colouring if using, to a bowl. Mix together. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons more plant-based milk or water if needed to reach desired consistency. Let cookies cool completely before decorating.
- For an extra white icing, I find using full-fat coconut milk as the liquid in the icing works best.
- The icing recipe makes enough to lightly decorate the cookies. If you want to heavily decorate them (like I did), double the recipe.
- Try not to eat them all before you finished icing them!
Serving: 1cookie (recipe makes 24) | Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg