Pantry Pasta Puttanesca
The perfect easy weeknight meal for when there's nothing in the fridge.
- 8 oz pasta of choice gluten-free pasta if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) olives (any kind or a mix)
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) capers
- 1 28oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon(s) white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- vegan parmesan (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 handful(s) fresh basil
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the olives, garlic, and capers. Sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and the garlic just begins to brown. Add in the tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes if using, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the sauce has cooked down and darkened in colour If the sauce has become too thick, simply add a bit of water to thin as desired.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the sauce and toss well to coat. Sprinkle of parmegan and a garnish of basil.
If your olives have pits, you can either de-pit them before cooking with them or just remember that they have pits when you are eating the dish so that you can pick them out as you eat.