Orange Ginger Tofu
Sweet, sticky, ginger and orangey, kid-friendly. A healthier alternative to Chinese Orange Chicken. Vegan, gluten free, vegetarian.
Servings: 4 servings
For the tofu:
- 1 block(s) (350g) extra-firm or firm tofu drained, rinsed, and pressed (see step 1), and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/3 cup(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable) plus more if needed
For the orange ginger sauce:
- 1 cup(s) orange juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) orange zest
- 1 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- To press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- To prepare the tofu: In a medium bowl toss the tofu in the cornstarch, shake off excess cornstarch and set tofu cubes aside. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are golden brown, a couple of minutes on each side. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- To prepare the orange ginger sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small pot. Whisk to combine, making sure the cornstarch is mixed well. Put the pot over medium-high heat and whisk until the sauce thickens about 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat, toss in the tofu and stir to combine. Serve over rice with garnishes.
Serving: 1serving of tofu without rice (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 762mg | Potassium: 320mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3mg