My Go-To Vegan Soup: White Bean & Kale
My go-to vegan soup recipe is this 20-minute white bean & kale soup because it's simple, packed full of veggies, made with ingredients you likely already have on hand and will make you feel great!
Servings: 6 (makes about 14 cups)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 6 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 19oz can(s) white kidney beans (4 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon(s) oregano
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 4 cup(s) kale finely shredded
- salt to taste, if needed
- vegan parmesan optional for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the veggies just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, beans, thyme, oregano, cumin, turmeric, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale and stir to wilt the kale into the soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes to soften the kale. Add salt to taste if needed. Many brands of vegetable broth are quite salty so I often don't need any additional salt. Serve hot with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if desired.
Kale substitute: feel free to swap the kale with your preferred dark leafy greens such as spinach, swiss chard, or collard greens. White bean substitute: swap with your favorite beans such as black beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, or pinto beans. Make-ahead/ storage/ freezer: allow the soup to chill completely before storing it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 - 4 days, or you can freeze it. Make it oil-free: omit the olive oil and do a water or broth sauté instead.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 997mg | Potassium: 898mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10165IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 4mg