Molasses & Ginger Granola Bars
9 ingredients, 25 minutes to make. The spicy and sweet candied ginger, the full and seasonal flavour of molasses, the soft pecans, and the chewy caramel coated oats make one might fine bar.
Servings: 14 Bars
- 2 1/2 cup(s) rolled oats (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 cup(s) pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) molasses
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) candied ginger chopped
Extra toppings (optional:
- 2 tablespoon(s) pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) candied ginger chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Spread the oats and pecans out on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 mins. This step is optional but helps to bring out the flavours of the oats and pecans.
- Line a 9" x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper leaving extra parchment paper on the sides to create handles, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the molasses, brown sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, powdered ginger, and salt and put over medium heat. Stir while heating until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, pecans, candied ginger. Pour in the molasses mixture and combine well. Scoop the mixture into the pan lined with parchment and use a spatula to press the mixture firmly down until everything is smooth and firmly packed.
- For the toppings, sprinkle the pecans and ginger over the top of the bars, and use a spatula to press the toppings into the granola bars. Put the pan in the fridge for 1.5 hours or until completely chilled and firm. Us a large knife to cut into 14 bars. Store in an airtight container. For softer bars, store at room temperature, for firmer bars, store in the fridge.
* This recipe is my entry for Crosby's Raising the Bar recipe contest.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 47mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.2mg