Molasses & Ginger Granola Bars
9 ingredients, 25 minutes to make. The spicy and sweet candied ginger, the full and seasonal flavour of molasses, the soft pecans, and the chewy caramel coated oats make one might fine bar.
- 2 1/2 cup(s) rolled oats (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 cup(s) pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) molasses
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) candied ginger chopped
Extra toppings (optional:
- 2 tablespoon(s) pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) candied ginger chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Spread the oats and pecans out on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 mins. This step is optional but helps to bring out the flavours of the oats and pecans.
- Line a 9" x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper leaving extra parchment paper on the sides to create handles, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the molasses, brown sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, powdered ginger, and salt and put over medium heat. Stir while heating until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, pecans, candied ginger. Pour in the molasses mixture and combine well. Scoop the mixture into the pan lined with parchment and use a spatula to press the mixture firmly down until everything is smooth and firmly packed.
- For the toppings, sprinkle the pecans and ginger over the top of the bars, and use a spatula to press the toppings into the granola bars. Put the pan in the fridge for 1.5 hours or until completely chilled and firm. Us a large knife to cut into 14 bars. Store in an airtight container. For softer bars, store at room temperature, for firmer bars, store in the fridge.
* This recipe is my entry for Crosby's Raising the Bar recipe contest.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 47mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.2mg