Mixed Vegetables Fajitas
This quick and easy vegan fajita recipe can be customized however you like with endless topping options. Serve the sizzling skillet directly to the table with all the sides and everyone can make their own fajitas to their own tastes preferences.
Servings: fajitas (serves 2 - 3 as a meal)
For the vegetable fajitas:
- 8 taco sized flour or corn tortillas
- 4 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow) thickly sliced
- 1 red onion thickly sliced
- 8 oz button mushrooms thickly sliced
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as vegetable or canola)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- Optional toppings for fajitas: lime wedges, chopped cilantro, avocado, refried beans, salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream
To warm the tortillas, choose one of the following methods:
- Method 1: Heat your oven to 350F (180C). Wrap the tortillas in aluminium foil, and pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
- Method 2: If you have a gas stove, turn on a flam and using tongs put a tortilla directly over the flame. Turn continually to evenly toast the tortilla, flip and repeat on the other side. About 20 seconds per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
To make the vegetable fajita filling:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add in the peppers, onions, chili powder, cumin, salt, and smoked paprika. Stir often to evenly cook the veggies until the peppers just being to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have reduced in size, and the peppers have softened but aren't mushy. Crank the heat for the last minute if you want to get a real sizzle going on. Serve the skillet directly to the table on a heat-safe rest, or present the filling in a bowl. Make fajitas by topping a warm tortilla with the hot vegetable mix, and any toppings you desire.
Serving: 1fajita | Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 433mg | Potassium: 292mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2015IU | Vitamin C: 78mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1.6mg