Mini Apple Pies - Baked in an Apple!
Filled with sweet, cinnamon packed apple pie filling, topped with flaky crust, all in its own edible little warm apple shell.
- 8 apples (2 for the filling and 6 for the pies)
- 1/3 Cup(s) Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup(s) vegan butter
- 3/4 Teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon(s) Nutmeg
- 1 Vegan Pie Crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
- To make the filling: Peel and chop 2 of the apples, then add to a saucepan along with the brown sugar, vegan butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir over medium heat until the apples are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To make the pies: Cut a thin slice off the top of 6 apples. Then use a melon baller, or spoon to carefully scoop out all of the core and seeds. Make sure to leave a thick enough wall of apple, so that once baked, the apple is still strong and doesn’t collapse.
- Pack the prepared filling into the apples. You might have some leftover apple filling, and if you do it goes wonderfully on top of oatmeal!
- Roll out pie crust, and use a large circle cookie cutter, a knife, or any shape cookie cutter you like to cut rounds of pie crust. I used a small tart pan to cut my crust, which gave me this perfect scalloped edge. Use a knife to cut small vent holes in the top of each pie. At this point, if you don't want to enjoy them right away, you can store them covered in the fridge for up to a day until you are ready to bake.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes until apples have softened and are just starting to sag. There might be some juices that escaped and that’s a-ok! Serve hot from the oven with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.