Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
This recipe is quick and easy, it takes under 30 minutes to make. The avocado cilantro sauce makes these tacos a real keeper.
Servings: 8 tacos
For the lentil filling:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) red lentils
For the avocado cilantro sauce:
- 1 bunch(s) cilantro
- 1 avocados
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 1 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) agave
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
For the tacos:
- 8 taco sized flour or corn tortillas (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 mangoes chopped
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- To make the lentils:Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add in the spices and continue to cook for 1 minute more until the spices are fragrant. Add in the vegetable broth and lentils. Cover and bring to a low simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until all of the broth is absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Make sure to keep the lentils at a gentle simmer and don't stir them too much. Remove the lentils from the heat when they are almost done but they still have a tiny bit of bite, this will ensure they don't get mushy.
- To make the avocado cilantro sauce:Add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender, and blend until your sauce is smooth.
- To warm the tortillas:Stovetop: Place the tortillas in a dry (no oil) pan over medium-high heat, and warm them for about 30 seconds on each side. On a gas stove: use tongs to hold a tortilla over a flame for about 20 seconds per side to warm them. Microwave: stack the tortillas on a microwavable plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second bursts until they are warmed through. In the oven: preheat the oven to 350F (180C), wrapping the tortillas in foil, and baking for 10 to 20 minutes until warmed throughout.
- Assemble the tacos by spreading the lentil mixture on a tortilla, adding toppings, and dolloping some sauce across the top.
Oil-free: to make these oil-free simply omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté. Lentils: red lentils are very quick to cook which makes them my favourite for this recipe. If you prefer to use green or brown lentils, this recipe will be great, just be sure to cook the lentils much longer, about 20 minutes.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 477mg | Potassium: 584mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1084IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg