Lentil Sloppy Joes
Get your napkins ready because this sandwich will be dripping down your arm scrumptious. Bonus points; lentils make this comfort food actually pretty healthy. Indugle away my friends!
For the sauce:
- 1 3/4 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
- 2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
For the lentils:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 cup(s) red lentils
- 4 buns for serving (gluten-free if preferred)
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or sauce pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add in the lentils and the sauce mixture. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Continue to simmer, covered for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender. Be carful to not overcook the lentils or they can get mushy. Spoon onto a bun and enjoy!
Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté. Make-ahead/ meal prep: the filling can be made ahead of time and stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Assemble the sloppy joes fresh.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 574mg | Potassium: 579mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 665IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 15mg