Jerk Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
Perfect for BBQ season! So hearty and delicious, with amazing Jamaican jerk flavours.
Servings: Large Burgers
- 2 sweet potatoes (enough to make 2 cups mashed)
- 1/4 cup(s) ground chia or ground flax
- 6 tablespoon(s) warm water
- 1 19oz can(s) black beans (2 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 cup(s) rolled oats
- 1 yellow onion (1 1/2 cups) chopped
- 1 cup(s) bread crumbs (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) jerk marinade, hot or mild (mild or hot)
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan BBQ sauce (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork all over, put them on a baking tray, and then pop them in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes, until you can easily pierce a knife all the way through the potatoes. You can bake the potatoes ahead of time if you like.
- When you are ready to make the burgers, preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Mix the ground flax with the water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add the black beans to a large bowl and use a potato masher to smash them up. Add 2 cups of sweet potato flesh to the bowl along with the oats, onion, bread crumbs, Grace Jerk Seasoning, and the flax mixture. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mix into 8, and form 8 large patties, and put them on the pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes flipping halfway through.
- To use the burgers right away: Brush the tops of the hot burgers with a thick layer of Grace Jerk BBQ Sauce. Pile on a bun with all of your favourite toppings and enjoy.
- To save for later: Let the patties cool completely, then store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use. When ready heat up a BBQ and toss the burgers on for just a few minutes on each side to heat through. Brush the tops of the hot burgers with a thick layer of Grace Jerk BBQ Sauce. Pile on a bun with all of your favourite toppings and enjoy.
*To make the burgers gluten free, use gluten free oats, and gluten free bread crumbs and use a gluten free bun.