Homemade Vegan Deli Slices (Smoked Seitan Turkey
10 minutes prep time, easy to make, freezer-friendly, high in protein, cheaper and healthier than store-bought, and they taste and have a texture just like smoked turkey! These deli slices are juicy, meaty, tender, and seasoned to perfection. ! I love making these deli slices and storing them in my fridge or freezer so that I always have the makings for an epic vegan sandwich!
Servings: vegan smoked turkey log (about 1.7 pounds) makes enough for 8+ sandwiches
- 1 14oz block(s) firm tofu drained
- 1 ½ cup(s) vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) white miso paste
- 2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) vegetable broth powder vegetable instant stock mix powder or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon(s) salt
- ¼ teaspoon(s) ground sage
- Food processor method: Add the tofu, vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, water, miso paste, onion powder, vegetable broth powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, salt, and sage to your food processor. Using the S-blade, blend the mixture until it is mixed well and forms a ball in the food processor. This should happen pretty quickly, but if it doesn't just ensure the ingredients are mixed well, and then you can form the dough into a ball by hand. *Do not knead the dough, kneading it will just make it tough and rubbery.By hand method: If you do not have a food processor, use a blender or immersion blender to blend together everything but the vital wheat gluten together until smooth. Now in a large bowl, use a strong spatula or wooden spoon to mix in the vital wheat gluten, mixing well, until a ball forms (you may need to use your hands as well). *Do not knead the dough, kneading it will just make it tough and rubbery.
- Place your ball of seitan on a sheet of aluminum foil, then use your hands to pat it into a log shape. It doesn't have to be perfect. Wrap the foil around the seitan log securely but not too tightly. I like to do a double layer of foil to ensure it is wrapped well.
- Add several inches of water to a large pot with a steamer basket and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the foil-wrapped seitan to the steamer basket and steam for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 160F (71C). The seitan will puff up in the foil and become tight. Once steamed, remove and allow to cool. For the best texture let the seitan cool overnight in the fridge. You can now slice and enjoy your homemade deli slices! Use a sharp knife or deli slicer to cut thin slices. You can store the seitan covered in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze it for later.
Freezing: to freeze the deli slices, steam the seitan and then let it cool completely before freezing. Tightly wrap and store in an air-tight container or bag in the freezer. Allow to thaw completely before slicing and enjoying. Vital wheat gluten is essential to this recipe, and there is no substitute. Therefore this recipe cannot be made gluten-free. For a vegan gluten-free sandwich, filling try my baked tofu bites. Steaming tips: Steaming seitan is the best way to cook it for the perfect juicy meaty texture. I recommend getting a steamer pot if you plan to make seitan often, or you can use a DIY method if you do not have a steamer. Cleaning tips: vital wheat gluten is very sticky and can destroy dish brushes and cloths. So what I like to do is save old clothes, sheets, or towels that are too shabby to donate, and cut them into rags. I use these rags to clean up after preparing a seitan recipe and discard the rag once finished. Aluminum foil alternative: if you prefer to avoid aluminum foil, wrap the roast in parchment paper, and then wrap the parchment paper wrapped roast in cheesecloth and tie closed with cotton baking twine.
Serving: 1entire log of seitan | Calories: 1176kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 185g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 3557mg | Potassium: 745mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 16IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 781mg | Iron: 16mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan