Grilled Tofu Bánh Mì
Layers of seasoned grilled tofu, a creamy spicy spread of homemade Sriracha mayonnaise, sweet salty and crunchy pickled veggies piled high, garnished with fresh cilantro and jalapeno, all on top of a soft chewy baguette. ← THIS is the king of sandwiches, and it’s called Grilled Tofu Banh Mi.
For the grilled tofu:
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu drained, pressed (see step 1), and sliced into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) agave or maple syrup
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced
For the Sriracha mayonnaise:
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon(s) Sriracha (or to taste)
For the sandwiches:
- 1 soft baguette cut into 4, or 4 bread rolls
- 1 recipe(s) Quick and Easy Pickled Sandwich Veggies
- 1 handful(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
For the tofu:
- Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.Cut the tofu into 8 slices, then toss the tofu in a bag or a covered dish with the all marinade ingredients, the lime juice, soy sauce, agave, and garlic. You can let this marinate for 15 mintues, or toss it in the fridge to marinate for up to 3 days. I love this because if I don’t use all the tofu in one go, I have tofu in the fridge at the ready!
- Once marinated, grill the tofu a couple minutes per side until it’s browned and even lightly charred on some bits. For added flavour, as it’s cooking brush on a leftover marinade. I used a grill pan for my tofu, but you could also use a BBQ. If you don’t have either you can fry the tofu in a skillet with a bit of oil. I also like to toast my bread a bit by throwing it on the grill for a few minutes.
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- Make the Sriracha mayonnaise by simply mixing together vegan mayonnaise with the Sriracha in a small bowl. If you aren’t a fan of spice, just skip the Sriracha and use plain vegan mayonnaise.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread a thick layer of Sriracha mayo, top that with the grilled tofu, add a big pile of pickled veggies, and garnish with cilantro and jalapeno.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 570mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 56IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan