Garlic & Herb Cashew Cream Cheese on a Bagel
Add these additional ingredients to the basic recipe for Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese to make your very own Garlic & Herb cream cheese. Perfect creamy, slightly tangy, spreadable, vegan cream cheese with a kick!
Servings: servings of cream cheese
- 1 cup(s) raw cashews softened (see below)
- 2 tablespoon(s) refined coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) white miso paste
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 4 bagels (gluten-free if preferred)
To soften the cashews:
- You can either boil or soak the cashews. To boil the cashews (the fast method): add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. To soak the cashews: add the cashews to a bowl, and cover with water. Let soak for 4 hours or overnight until tender. Drain and rinse cashews before using.
To make the vegan cashew cream cheese:
- Add the softened cashews, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, white miso paste, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, dill, and salt to a food processor and blend until as smooth as possible, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Pour the cream cheese into a small dish. Cover, then let set in the fridge for 1 hour, or until ready to serve. The vegan cream cheese will firm up and become nice and spreadable. Spread generously on a plain or toasted bagel half. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Cashew alternative/ Nut-free: to sub the cashews, blanched almonds, or macadamia nuts work well, or for a nut-free version use raw sunflower seeds. If using raw sunflower seeds, you may need to boil them a little longer to ensure they are as soft as possible. Oil-Free: the coconut in this recipe is what makes this cheese firm and spreadable. For an oil-free version, just omit it. It won't be quite as firm, but it will still be nice. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, swap out the miso for chickpea miso!
Serving: 1serving of cream cheese (does not include bagel) | Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 119mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan