Fast and Easy Vegan Carbonara
This 20-minute pasta recipe is so easy to whip together. A simple creamy sauce coats the noodles with chewy, salty, smoky, bites of sun-dried tomato. A perfect, easy dinnertime meal, made from ingredients you probably already have in the pantry.
- 14 oz pasta of choice (spaghetti, fettucini, bucantini, or gluten-free if preferred)
For the smoky sun-dried tomato bites:
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (the dry kind, not in oil) sliced
- 2 teaspoon(s) soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) liquid smoke
For the carbonara:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) black salt (also called kala namak) use regular salt if preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Mix together the sun-dried tomatoes, soy sauce, and liquid smoke in a small bowl and set aside to absorb the flavours while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the onions, let cook for about 60 seconds, then whisk in all of the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until thickened, whisking as needed. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash more plant-based milk, and if the sauce is too thin, simply cook it longer.
Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos. Also, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Calories: 551kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 720mg | Potassium: 968mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Vitamin C: 8.1mg | Calcium: 234mg | Iron: 3.8mg