Vegan Split Pea Soup with Smoky Tofu Ham
Easy Vegan Split Pea Soup with Smoky Tofu Ham! There is a reason this classic soup recipe is a staple for many: it's easy to make, it uses inexpensive ingredients, and oh my is it ever delicious. The perfect make-ahead meal.
Servings: - 8
For the tofu ham:
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preffered)
- 1 teaspoon(s) liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu chopped into small cubes
For the vegan split pea soup:
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter (sub oil of choice if preferred)
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 8 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 cup(s) dried green split peas rinsed (1 lb)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 handful(s) parsley roughtly chopped (optional for garnish)
To make the tofu ham:
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 325F (170C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.AIR FRYER: Preheat your air fryer to 305F (160C).
- Mix the soy sauce, liquid smoke, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add the tofu and toss well to coat. OVEN: Spread the tofu on the baking sheet and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, stopping to stir a few times, until the tofu is golden brown and chewy. The tofu will get chewier as it sits out.AIR FRYER: spread the tofu in the air fryer and fry for 24 - 32 minutes, stopping to shake a few times, until the tofu is golden brown and chewy. The tofu will get chewier as it sits out.
To make the split pea soup:
- In the meantime, melt the vegan butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, split peas, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 -45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are cooked through and the soup has reached your desired thickness and mushiness. If your soup is too thin, simply cook it longer until it reaches desired thickness. If your soup gets too thick, add a splash more vegetable broth or water to thin it out. Serve the soup hot with a handful of prepared tofu ham on top, and an optional sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Oil-free: To make split pea soup oil-free, simply omit the vegan butter and instead do a water or broth sauté. Make-ahead: allow prepared split pea soup and tofu to cool before storing separately in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1854mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4472IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 5mg