Easy Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Just 5 ingredients, and 20 minutes to make (plus chilling time). So simple, so buttery, melt in your mouth goodness. The cookie dough can be made ahead of time and even frozen if you like for easy cookie prep.
Servings: cookies (give or take)
- 2/3 cup(s) vegan butter softened (not melted)
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) white sugar (optional)
- Add the vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt to a large bowl. Use a whisk or a mixer to beat the ingredients together until fluffy. Add the flour half a cup at a time and mix well until you form a dough.
- Dump the cookie dough onto a clean work surface and form into a brick about 6" length, 2 1/2" depth, and 1 1/4" in height. (It really doesn't matter if your brick is a different size). If the cookie dough is a bit crumbly, feel free to work it or knead it a bit until it holds together well and then form your brick. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill in the fridge for an hour or until firm. The dough can be stored in the fridge like this for up to 4 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the cookie dough, and use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 1/4" slices. Space the cookie slices on the prepared baking sheet, and prick each cookie with a fork 3 - 4 times. Optionally you can sprinkle with a bit of sugar for garnish. Bake the cookies for 10 - 12 minutes until the bottoms of the cookies are very lightly browned. Let cool on the pan. Store cookies in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
Freezing: once the dough is formed into a brick and wrapped, it can be frozen for later. Make sure to wrap it tight, and put it in a sealable freezer bag or container. When ready to bake, thaw the cookie dough in the fridge overnight and then proceed with the recipe. Vegan butter: my go to brand is Earth Balance which is quite firm when cold. Some vegan margarines are softer and will not need to be softened.
Serving: 1-cookie (recipe makes 20 cookies) | Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 12mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 288IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg