Potato and Corn Chowder
Creamy, comforting vegetable chowder, perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
Servings: servings (makes about 2 litres)
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegan butter or light oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (use all-purpose gluten-free flour if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 3 large white or yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/2lbs) peeled and diced (4 cups chopped)
- 2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 3 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 cup(s) corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper (or to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables just start to soften and the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour and thyme over the vegetables and stir to coat. Continue to stir and cook for about a minute until the flour starts to brown. Stir in the potatoes, vegetable broth, plant-based milk, and nutritional yeast. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender and the chowder has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the corn and season with salt and pepper. If your chowder gets too thick, you can always thin it with water or a vegetable broth to the desired consistency. Serve hot.
Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Serving: 1(recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 832mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3895IU | Vitamin C: 3.9mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 1.3mg