Easy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
This comfort food recipe only takes 25 minutes to make. Perfectly creamy and luscious all while being dairy-free with a gluten-free option. Serve over pasta or rice.
For the vegan mushroom stroganoff:
- 9 oz pasta of choice (check to make sure it's vegan, use gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 cup(s) vegetable broth (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (use gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegan butter (sub olive oil if preferred)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 16 oz button mushrooms sliced (about 6 cups sliced)
- 1 handful(s) fresh parsley roughly chopped
- vegan parmesan (homemade or store-bought)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl whisk together the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, flour, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large skillet or pot. When hot add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown. Reduce the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and begin to release their juices.
- Pour in the broth and non-dairy milk mixture and continue to cook, stirring as needed for about 3 to 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. If the sauce gets too thick, add more vegetable broth or water if needed to thin. If the sauce is too thin, simply cook a little longer until you reach desired consistency.
Traditionally stroganoff is served over egg noodles which aren't vegan, so I just subbed for an egg-free pasta noodle. Today I used tagliatelle. You could alternatively serve this over rice. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 873mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2.2mg