Vegan Mushroom Gravy
9 easy ingredients, use any mushroom you like, make ahead of time, rich, umami-packed, the perfect sauce to add oomph to your meal. Gluten-free option.
Servings: 12 (Makes about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 16 ounce(s) mushrooms (I used cremini but you can use any kind you like!)
- 5 - 6 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 litre(s) vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- In a medium pot or high sided skillet, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and slowly sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, 5 – 10 minutes. I like to slowly sauté them in this recipe as it allows the onions to caramelize for a rich flavour, but if you’re in a rush, a quick sauté will suffice.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms have darkened and released their juices, 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, using 5 tablespoons for a thinner gravy, and 6 tablespoons for a thicker gravy. Stir the flour in and cook for 1 minute to heat, then stir in the vegetable broth, thyme, and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the gravy thickens as desired. It will be a bit thicker as it cools. Different vegetable broths may have more or less salt, so you can add salt to taste if needed. Remove from heat and serve.
- When shopping for vegetable broth, I look for one dark in colour to make rich brown gravy.
- This gravy is chunky, but if you prefer a smooth gravy, you can blend the prepared gravy using an immersion or standing blender as desired. This will make the gravy thicker so you can add more vegetable broth as needed to thin.
Serving: 1(about 1/2 cup of gravy) | Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg