Vegan Macaroni Salad
10 ingredients and 20 minutes to make, this pasta salad is the perfect side dish for any BBQ, picnic, or potluck. Gluten-free and oil-free options.
- 2 cup(s) elbow macaroni (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) sweet gherkin juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 rib(s) celery finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion (1/4 cup), finely chopped
- 6 sweet gherkins finely chopped
- black pepper and chopped parsley (optional for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix together the vegan mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sweet gherkin juice, dijon mustard, and garlic powder. (I like to mix the dressing directly in the salad bowl to save dirtying an extra dish, but if you are preparing this recipe ahead of time then you might want to mix it in a separate small bowl, see notes).
- Add the cooled macaroni noodles along with the red bell pepper, celery, red onion, and gherkins to the bowl with the dressing. Toss well to combine. Garnish with black pepper and parsley if desired. Serve fresh. (See recipe notes if you plan on making this ahead of time).
Make-ahead tips: The dressing can get absorbed by the pasta if it rests for a while, so for the creamiest noodles prepare the dressing separately, then toss with the pasta and vegetables up to an hour before serving. Vegan Mayonnaise: for a lower fat or oil-free version, sub the mayonnaise for 1/2 cup plain plant-based yogurt or 1/2 cup of my vegan sour cream recipe from Fuss-Free Vegan (page 207). Egg flavor: traditional macaroni salad often contains hard-boiled eggs. While I don't miss this flavour in this macaroni salad, if you would like to add it, simply add a pinch of black salt (also called kala namak) which has an eggy taste.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 631IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg