Takes just 25 minutes to whip up for a perfect weeknight meal. So delicious even meat eaters will love this!
Servings: 8 tacos
For the jackfruit:
- 2 20oz cans green jackfruit in water or brine drained, rinsed, and chopped (see instructions)
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon(s) agave
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
For the tacos:
- 8 taco sized flour or corn tortillas hard or soft (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 avocados sliced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
To chop the jackfruit:
- For optimal texture, cut the jackfruit into thin slices from core to the outer edge as seen in the pictures above in this post. This breaks up the tougher core as much as possible and makes for the best shredded texture. Do NOT discard the core or seeds, they are totally edible, and you are just wasting precious jackfruit!
To make the shredded jackfruit:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, broth, agave, lime juice and all the spices to the pot and cover. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the jackfruit softens slightly, and about 1/2 of the liquid is absorbed. About 5 minutes.
- Now take a potato masher, and smash all the jackfruit up to get that shredded texture. If you find it a bit wet, just cook a little longer. If you find it a little dry, just add a splash more vegetable broth.
To assemble the tacos:
- Warm the taco shells according to the package directions. When warmed, add a scoop of the jackfruit, and top with an avocado slice, a couple red onion slices, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Or you can top with whatever your favourite taco toppings are! I also love a squeeze of hot sauce.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 373IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 1mg