Easy Vegan Butter Tarts
The Canadian classic dessert made vegan. Tastes just like the traditional recipe but its egg and dairy free!
Servings: 8 butter tarts
- 1 recipe(s) 8 store-bought vegan tart shells (or 1 recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust)
- 1/2 cup(s) raisins
- 3/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch *see instructions
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup(s) pecans or walnuts, whole or chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
- If using homemade pastry, roll out the pastry nice and thin and cut 8 circles about 5 1/2" diameter, re-rolling the pastry scraps if needed. I had a latte mug that was the perfect size so I used that to cut my pastry. Fit the pastry circles into 8 wells a muffin pan, wobbly edges are totally ok and are authentic for butter tarts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raisins to the bottom of each tart shell.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the brown sugar, vegan butter, plant-based milk, cornstarch and vanilla until smooth and creamy. *For a slightly runnier filling use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and for a thicker filling use 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Divide the butter-sugar mixture among each tart shell covering the raisins, about 1 1/2 tablespoons of liquid per tart. The tarts will be about 2/3rd full which is perfect. Optionally, you can top the tarts with pecans or walnuts. I did half with pecans and half without.
- Bake for about 23 minutes, the filling will be bubbly and foamy. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. You may need to run a knife around the edges of the tarts to help release them from the pan.
Not a raisin fan? Even though raisins are traditional in butter tarts, (and in my opinion are WAY better than they sound), there are some who prefer raisin-free tarts. You can replace the raisins with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, choose almond or oat milk rather than soy milk.
Serving: 1butter tart | Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 119mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.6mg