Easy Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit
Just 30 minutes or less to prepare and requires only 8 ingredients. Add this to tacos, pizza, dips, nachos, wraps, sandwiches, quesadillas, baked potatoes, grain bowls. Perfect game day inspired recipe for meal prepping and it's freezer friendly.
For the cashew cream: (see notes for more options)
- 1/4 cup(s) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup(s) water
To make buffalo jackfruit:
- 2 20 oz(s) cans green jackfruit in water or brine drained, rinsed, and chopped (see instructions)
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup(s) Frank's Red Hot Original (or similar hot sauce)
To make cashew cream (see recipe notes before proceeding):
- Boiling the cashews (optional): Cover the cashews with water and bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse with cold water before using. Boiling the cashews ensure they blender smoothly, however I skip this step as I have a strong blender so it is not needed.
- Add the 1/4 cup cashews (boiled or unboiled) and 1/4 cup water to a blender, and blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrap the sides as needed. Set aside.
To chop the jackfruit:
- For optimal texture, cut the jackfruit into thin slices from core to the outer edge as seen in the pictures above in this post. This breaks up the tougher core as much as possible and makes for the best shredded texture. Do NOT discard the core or seeds, they are totally edible, and you are just wasting precious jackfruit!
To make buffalo jackfruit:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, broth, and 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot to the pot and cover. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the jackfruit softens slightly, and about 1/2 of the liquid is absorbed. About 5 minutes. Now take a potato masher, and smash all the jackfruit up to get that shredded texture. Stir in the cashew cream and remove from heat. If desired add more Frank's Red Hot to taste. Use on tacos, pizza, dips, nachos, wraps, sandwiches, quesadillas, in a bowl, or anywhere you like!
Blenders: you only need 1/2 cup of cashew cream for this recipe. If you have a small strong blender, such as a Magic Bullet this will work beautifully to blend a small batch of cashew cream. If you have a larger blender, you may want to double or even quadruple the cashew cream recipe so it blends smoothly. Leftover cashew cream is great to have on hand for sauces, dressings, dips, or to stir into coffee. Cashew cream: cashew cream is easy to make, but these days there are also store-bought vegan creams available. Feel free to sub the homemade cashew cream with 1/2 cup store-bought plant-based creamer or 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk. Alternatively you could also substitute the cashews for equal amounts of softened blanched almonds, softened raw sunflower seeds, or macadamia nuts. Oil-free: to make oil-free simply omit the oil and do a water or broth sauté instead.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1010mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg