Easy Vegan Blue Cheese Recipe
Just 8 ingredients, 20 minutes to make (plus chilling time), and you can make your own homemade vegan blue cheese! This dairy-free cheese is creamy, tangy, got that funky kick to it, and even has the pretty green and blue veins throughout.
Servings: 2 wheels of cheese (about 4 inches diameter)
- Soften the cashews: Add the cashews to a medium pot and cover with water. Put over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Alternatively, you can soak the cashews, by placing the cashews in a bowl, covering them with water, and allowing the cashews to soak for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse before using.Both of these methods will soften the cashews making them easier to blend into a creamy texture.
- Make the cheese base: Add the softened cashews along with the coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, miso paste, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder to a food processor. Blend, stopping to scrape the sides as needed until the mixture becomes as smooth as possible. It will become a bit sticky and will be warm from the friction.
- Prepare your mold(s): Lining the mold(s) with plastic wrap or parchment paper, or you can use a silicone mold. You can use any mold or dish you like, I used two of these mini springform pans to make two wheels of cheese.
- Form the cheese: Scoop about 1/2 of the cheese mixture into the mold(s) and spread out. Sprinkle about half of the spirulina across the surface. Add the remaining cheese mixture, and sprinkle over the remaining spirulina. Use a knife to stir the cheese in the mold 2 – 3 times to mix in the spirulina and create veins in the cheese. Don’t overmix. Smooth the top of the cheese then cover and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight to let the cheese firm up.
- The cheese will be firmer fresh out of the fridge but will soften as it sits out. You can also pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before serving to make it even firmer. Easy vegan blue cheese will keep for 1 – 2 weeks in the fridge or can be frozen. Serve vegan blue cheese with crackers or bread, spread on a sandwich, add to a salad, or use it anywhere you like!
Soy-Free: To keep this recipe soy-free, swap out the miso for chickpea miso!
Serving: 1wheel of cheese (recipe makes 2) | Calories: 1011kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 85g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Sodium: 2716mg | Potassium: 905mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 9mg