Easy Vegan Alphabet Soup
Healthy homemade soup recipe that's fun to eat! Perfect for lunches or an easy meal. Freezer-friendly. Gluten-free and oil-free options.
Servings: 8 - 10 servings (makes about 3.5 quarts or 14 cups)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 8 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can(s) diced tomatoes (3.5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 cup(s) dry alphabet pasta (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh or frozen green beans chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper (or to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, stir in the pasta, and cover and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes and pasta are cooked.
- Stir in the green beans, peas, corn, salt and pepper and cook another 5 minutes to heat through. Serve hot.
Make ahead/ meal prep: Allow the prepared soup to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Gently reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove adding more broth or water if needed to thin. Oil-free: To make the soup oil-free use water or vegetable broth instead of the olive oil to sauté the vegetables. Alphabet pasta: you can substitute the alphabet pasta for any other small shaped pasta noodle, chopped potatoes, or your favourite bean.
Serving: 1serving about 1 3/4 cups (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1117mg | Potassium: 411mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3433IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg