Double Coconut Cream Pie
When I started doing research on coconut cream pies, what I found most odd was that most recipes I looked at didn’t use coconut milk at all; they used dairy cream. So the only coconut in the pie was from the flakes. Well, that didn’t seem very coconutty to me! I immediately got to recipe-testing, and boy, oh boy, did I make the most coconutty, creamy, gorgeous pie!
Servings: 8 (makes 1 pie)
- Prebake the pie crust according to the recipe instructions or the package instructions.
- If you’re making the pie crust from scratch, bake it according to directions, then preheat your oven to 350F (180C).
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until the flakes get golden brown edges. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn. Once toasted, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, flour, and salt. Put over medium-high heat and whisk continually until it thickens, which will take 3 to 5 minutes. Keep cooking an additional 30 seconds to a minute to ensure the flour is cooked, then remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and let cool on the counter for 10 to 20 minutes, then put in the fridge to firm up, 3 hours, or overnight.
- Top with remaining 1⁄4 of toasted coconut flakes before serving.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 4mg