Crispy Vegan Lemon Tofu
Marinate the tofu in a lemon garlic sauce for up to three days for an easy make ahead meal. Then bake or fry in a crispy panko coating.
Servings: 8 tofu slices
For the lemon marinated tofu
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm or firm tofu drained, pressed (see step 1), and sliced into 8 pieces
For the panko coating:
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1/2 cup(s) panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- Press the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- Marinate the tofu: In a large resealable bag or medium dish, mix together all of the marinade ingredients. Add in the slices of tofu and toss lightly to coat. Seal or cover and put in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, but you can let marinate in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Panko coat the tofu: Take three small bowls. Add the flour to one. Pour off the leftover lemon marinade into the second, leaving the tofu behind. Mix together the panko, nutritional yeast, dried parsley, and garlic powder in the third.
- Take a slice of the marinated tofu and toss it into the flour to coat, then dip the tofu into the leftover marinate, and finally coat in the panko mixture. Repeat with all the tofu slices. You can bake or fry the tofu depending on your preference.
- To bake the tofu: Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the panko-coated tofu in a single layer and bake for 18 to 23 minutes until lightly golden.To air fry the tofu: Preheat your airy fryer to 370F (190C). Lay the panko-coated tofu in a single layer, working in batches if needed, and fry for 14 to 19 minutes until lightly golden.To fry the tofu: heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, carefully fry the tofu pieces until they are golden brown on both sides, and heated through. About 3 to 6 minutes per side. The panko coating can be a little fragile and falls off easily, so I found the best technique was to use a large spatula (and not tongs) for flipping. Just be gentle when handling the tofu.
Serving: 1tofu slice (recipe makes 8 slices) | Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 128mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 7IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg