Crispy Sesame Crusted Tofu
Marinated tofu in a crispy crunch sesame crust. Great for a vegan appetizer or as a main dish served with your favourite sides. Gluten-free and oil-free options.
Servings: (makes 16 triangles)
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu (see step 1 for prep)
For the sesame marinade:
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) sesame oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preffered)
- 1/2 cup(s) warm water
- 2 tablespoon(s) ground chia or ground flax
- 1/2 cup(s) sesame seeds (white, black, or a mix)
- 1/2 cup(s) panko or crushed corn flakes (gluten-free if preferred)
- To prep the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier. Once pressed, remove the tofu and pat dry, then cut into triangles (about 16).
- Marinate: mix together all of the sesame marinade ingredients in a sealable bag or container, then add the tofu. Let the tofu marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes or as long as overnight in the fridge, flipping the tofu every now and then to ensure all sides get marinated.
- OVEN: When ready to finish the tofu, preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.AIR FRYER: When ready to finish the tofu, preheat your oven to 370F (190C).
- Crust the tofu: Grab three big bowls. In the first bowl, add the flour. In the second bowl, add the flax and water and pour in any leftover unabsorbed marinade, and mix together, the flax will thicken the mixture in 5 - 10 minutes. For the third bowl, mix the sesame seeds and panko.
- Add the tofu to the flour bowl and toss to coat. Next, coat one tofu triangle at a time in the flax mixture and then roll it in the sesame panko coating. Place the crusted tofu on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tofu.
- OVEN: Spread the tofu out on the baking sheet so that they aren't touching, this will ensure the tofu gets crispy all the way around. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crusty. AIR FRYER: Place the tofu in a single layer in the air fryer. You may need to work in batches. Fry 16 - 20 minutes, until golden and crusty. Serve hot as a main with sides of choice, or serve as an appetizer with your favourite dipping sauce.
Make-Ahead: the tofu can be marinated for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Serving: 1tofu triangle (recipe makes 16 tofu triangles) | Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 232mg | Potassium: 78mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg