Creamy Lemon Pepper Chickpeas
These chickpeas are perfect on pasta, rice, toast, or served with a salad and potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 lemons zested
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas (about 2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 handful(s) cilantro or parsley chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds to heat up the flour. Now add the vegetable broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove on any stuck on bits. Stir in the chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the coconut milk. If you find your sauce a little too thick, you can add more broth to thin, and if you find your sauce a little too thin, just cook down a bit more. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve hot.
Oil-free: to make oil-free simply omit the olive oil and do a water or broth sauté. Coconut milk: Full-fat coconut milk is the kind in a can. Make sure to get the original kind (not the lite coconut milk or coconut cream). If you wish to substitute coconut milk, you can use any plant-based milk but opt for a creamier milk for the best result.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.1g | Protein: 8.5g | Fat: 9.5g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Sodium: 516.4mg | Fiber: 7.7g | Sugar: 5.5g | Vitamin C: 17.3mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan