Cheesy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
These are the best and easiest vegan scalloped potatoes! So creamy delicious and perfectly cheesy. No one will know they are vegan. These can be made oil-free too! The perfect side for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter.
For the creamy vegan sauce:
- 3 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 6 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour (sub gluten-free all-purpose flour blend if preferred)
- 4 clove(s) garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
For the scalloped potatoes:
- 2 yellow onion sliced
- 4 pound(s) yukon gold potatoes sliced into thin rounds about 1/8" thick
- 1 recipe(s) Homemade Vegan Nacho Cheese (or 1 1/2 cups store-bought vegan cheddar cheese) (made with an extra 1/2 cup of water) (optional) *see notes (or sub 2 cups store-bought vegan cheese)
- Fresh thyme leaves or chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with vegan butter, oil, or omit for an oil-free version.
- Make the creamy vegan sauce by adding the non-dairy milk, all-purpose flour, garlic, and salt to a blender, and blending until completely smooth. *If you do not have a blender, simply mince or press the garlic and whisk everything together in a bowl instead. Set aside.
- Layer the potato and onions slices by spreading about 1/3 of the potatoes across the bottom of the baking dish. Spread 1/2 of the onion slices over the potatoes. Cover the onions with another third of the potato slices, followed with the remaining half of the onions. Top with the rest of the potatoes slices.
- Pour the creamy vegan sauce over the potato and onion mixture, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. The liquid should be lightly bubbling around the edges. Remove the foil and bake for another 25 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Spread the Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese across the surface of the potatoes then return to the oven for another 5 - 10 minutes to melt the cheese. You can optionally put the baking dish under the broiler to brown the cheese for just 1 - 2 minutes, keeping a close eye so it doesn't burn.
- Serve hot, garnishing with fresh thyme leaves, chopped chives, or nothing at all.
Notes on the vegan cheese:
- The vegan cheese topping is optional and you can skip it if you prefer.
- I use my Melty Stretchy Gooey Nacho Cheese recipe or my Nacho Cheese Love recipe found in my cookbook to top the scalloped potatoes. When making these cheeses add 1/2 cup more water to the recipe so that the cheese will be easier to spread over the scalloped potatoes. If you make the cheese ahead of time, it may tighted up as it cools, feel free to add more water if needed.
- If you prefer to use a store-bought vegan cheddar, use 2 cups grated cheese. Note that store-bought vegan cheese usualy doesn't melt as well.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 10) | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 753mg | Potassium: 883mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 99IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 7mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan