Brown Sugar & Mustard Glazed Tofu
Just 10 ingredients and easy to make. Inspired by glazed ham this tofu roast is the perfect centrepiece for dinner.
For the tofu:
- Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- Once the tofu is pressed, remove the tofu and pat dry. Use a knife to score a diamond pattern across the surface of the tofu cutting about 1/4 inch deep. Add the soy sauce and liquid smoke to a sealable bag or container, then add the tofu. Let the tofu marinate for a minimum of 1 hour or as long as overnight in the fridge, flipping the tofu every now and then to ensure both sides get marinated.
- When ready to roast the tofu, preheat your oven to 375F (190C). Line a small baking dish with parchment paper.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on the prepared baking dish. Poke a whole clove into the center of each diamond. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until the tofu is a dark golden brown.
- While the tofu is baking make the glaze by adding the brown sugar, vegan butter, water, mustard, garlic, and cinnamon to a small pot. Put over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer while whisking often, and cook for about two minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the tofu has baked and is golden brown, remove from the oven, pour the prepared glaze on top, then return to the oven and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until the glaze is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes. Remove the cloves using a fork or kitchen tweezers before serving. I also like to use a pastry brush to gently brush excess glaze off the top of the tofu so you can see the diamond pattern better for presentation. Enjoy hot or cold!
Cloves: If you do not want to do the added decoration of the whole cloves, simply omit them and instead add 1/8 teaspoon ground clove to the glaze. Slicing: Due to the cuts on the top of the tofu, it can be a bit tricky to slice. For easy slicing, flip the tofu roast upside down. ;)
Serving: 1(recipe makes 4 servigns) | Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 905mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 267IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg