Thai Peanut Tofu, Seitan, or Tempeh Marinade
If you are a peanut butter fan, you will love this marinade! If you prefer, you can sub any nut or seed butter to make this recipe peanut-free or nut-free.
Servings: make enough marinade for 1 block of tofu or tempeh, or 2 seitan tenders
- 3 tablespoon(s) natural peanut butter *see notes to make nut-free
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 2 teaspoon(s) agave
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) powdered ginger
- Add all of the ingredients to a resealable bag or airtight container, mix, then add your sliced or cubed tofu, sliced or cubed tempeh, or your two seitan tenders. Let marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes or up to 4 days.
- Once marinated, cook up your seitan, tofu, or tempeh any way you like! Pan-fry, air-fry, grill, BBQ, bake. My favourite is to pan-fry over medium-high heat, a couple of minutes per side so it gets a bit crispy on the outside, and hot all the way through.
Tofu: If using tofu, use a medium, firm, or extra-firm tofu. It's also recommended to press the tofu first before marinating. Speed: I designed each recipe to be SUPER quick and easy to make- no chopping, mincing, or cooking. Each recipe uses pantry staples- sauces, spices, and seasonings that you likely already have on hand. That said if you would like to sub in fresh herbs, garlic, or ginger, instead of the powdered versions, feel free to do so. Make ahead: Marinate your tofu, tempeh, or seitan for a minimum of 15 minutes, but up to 4 days in the fridge for maximum flavour. Or you can toss them in the freezer. The seitan or tempeh freezes beautifully, but tofu changes texture when frozen (it gets kind of spongey), so freeze tofu only if you enjoy that texture. Some people love frozen tofu, some don't. Nut-free: sub the peanut butter for any nut or seed butter to make peanut-free or nut-free, such as cashew butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter, or wowbutter. Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 1731mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg