Almond Rosemary Lemon Crusted Tofu
This crispy, crunchy, crusted tofu is the perfect vegan main. Delicious served with a side of greens and a potato, or wonderful sliced and placed on top of a salad. Easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
Servings: slices of tofu
- 1 block(s) (350g) extra-firm or firm tofu drained, pressed (see step 1), and cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup(s) raw almonds
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh rosemary (about 2 sprigs with stems removed)
- 1/2 cup(s) bread crumbs (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk (or other plant-based milk if preferred)
- 1 lemons cut into wedges (optional for garnish)
- Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- OVEN: Preheat your oven 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.AIR FRYER: Preheat your air fryer to 370F (190C).
- To make the almond rosemary crust, add the almonds and rosemary to a food processor grind until the almonds are finely chopped but some larger chunks remain. Add the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and pulse to combine. Alternatively, you can finely chop the almonds and rosemary with a knife, and then just mix everything together in a bowl.
- Take 3 medium bowls. In the first bowl add the all-purpose flour. In the second bowl pour in the coconut milk. In the third bowl, pour in the almond rosemary mixture.
- Now take a tofu slice and dredge the tofu in the flour. Shake off excess and then dip the floured tofu into the coconut milk. Finally, dip the coconut milk covered tofu into the almond rosemary mixture to coat.
- OVEN: Place the coated tofu on the parchment paper and repeat with the remaining slices until they are all coated. Bake 18 - 23 minutes until the crust is lightly golden and crispy. Serve hot with a wedge of lemon for squeezing.AIR FRYER: place the coated tofu in a single layer in the bottom of the air fryer (you make need to work in batches). Fry 14 - 20 minutes until the crust is lightly golden and crispy. Serve hot with a wedge of lemon for squeezing.
*You can optionally press the tofu but it isn't required. Pressing it, will make the tofu a little firmer and chewier. Leaving it un-pressed will result in a more tender tofu.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg