6 Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
A healthy and incredibly tasty vegetarian and vegan alternative to pulled pork or chicken. Quick and easy to make. Even carnivores love it!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 20oz can(s) young green jackfruit in brine or water (not in syrup!)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 cup(s) vegan BBQ sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut the jackfruit into smaller pieces by cutting it from core to the edge for the most pulled texture (see photos).
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat, and when hot add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the chopped jackfruit and vegetable broth. Cover and continue to cook another 8 to 10 minutes, until the jackfruit is soft enough that it can be mashed. Mash the jackfruit with potato masher, until it breaks apart and looks pulled or shredded.
- To finish the jackfruit spread in an even layer across the baking pan and then pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour over 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Toss it back in the oven for about 10 minutes, until it looks delicious and golden and even a few strands get a bit burnt. Remove from the oven and if desired stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce to make it even saucier.