It's mouth-explodingly flavourful, perfectly spiced, with a fresh squeeze of lime, and baking the tofu slowly gives it this amazing sink your teeth into chewy texture.
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu pressed (see step 1), and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup(s) jerk marinade (the saucy kind), plus more for dipping
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Half a lime, cut into wedges
- Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 minutes to 1 hour. For pressing instructions, check out
this video. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become chewier.
- Preheat oven to 325F (170C). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Toss the pressed tofu with the marinade to coat. Spread on the baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, tossing every now and then. 45 minutes will get you soft-chewy tofu, but for extra-chewy (how I like it), keep it in there for the full hour. Some of the tofu pieces might puff up, this is a sign of good things happening in the oven.
- Once baked, brush on a little more of the marinade, or alternatively, serve it on the side as dipping sauce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Perfect served with beans & rice and coleslaw.