Veggie-Packed White Bean Salad
A hearty salad bursting with veggies! The perfect side to yur favorite vegan meat alternative, or you can enjoy it alone as a light meal.
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 zucchini sliced into semicircles
- 8 oz asparagus cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots peeled, then shaved into strips with a peeler
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 cup(s) fresh or frozen peas
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 19oz can(s) butter beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup(s) plant-based cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil (for garnish)
- Heat the vegan butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 6 minutes. Now add in the asparagus, carrot, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally for a further 4 minutes. Stir in the peas, green onions, red pepper flakes, oregano, and season with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the peas are warmed through, around 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat, add the white beans and plant-based cream, bring to a simmer, continue to cook for a minute, and then turn off the heat.
- Drizzle with lemon juice, mix in the vegan parmesan and dijon mustard, then season to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of warm water to loosen the sauce. Serve the bean salad in bowls garnished with almonds and basil leaves.
Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil and do a water or broth sauté instead. Nut-free: to make nut-free, omit the almonds or replace them with sesame seeds.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 101mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4349IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 5mg