Vegan Rice Krispie Squares
The best vegan rice Krispie squares! Just 10 minutes to whip up and only 6 simple ingredients. I also share with you my super-secret ingredient that makes these vegan rice Krispie treats the absolute hands-down best! Hint: these rice Krispie squares have a very slight birthday cake flavor!! Ooey gooey marshmallow with crispy rice cereal, talk about snack perfection.
Servings: large squares or 12 medium squares
- 5 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 10 oz bag(s) (238g) vegan marshmallows (I used Dandies)
- 1 tablespoon(s) plant-based milk or water
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) almond extract (optional) *see notes
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 4 - 5 cup(s) crispy rice cereal *see notes
- Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spritz it with spray oil.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the vegan marshmallows and stir continually until the marshmallows have melted into a gooey mass. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the plant-based milk or water, along with the almond extract and salt. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir so everything is mixed well.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Press the mixture into the pan in an even layer. I find using a spatula that has been lightly spritzed with spray oil is easiest. Allow to cool for 30 minutes to an hour before cutting. To cut the bars, use the parchment paper to remove the entire rice krispie square block from the pan. Cut into 9 large or 12 small bars. Once cooled completely, store at room temperature in a sealed bag or container for up to 4 days
Almond extract: almond extract is my secret ingredient! Adding just a touch of this gives the rice krispie squares a subtle birthday cake flavour. Yum! Vanilla extract: I do not call for vanilla extract in my recipe because Dandies marshmallows are already vanilla flavoured. If you're using a different brand of vegan marshmallows that are not vanilla flavoured, I recommend adding ½ teaspoon vanilla extract along with the almond extract and salt. Crispy rice cereal: if you like extra gooey marshmallow-y rice krispie squares, use 4 cups of crispy rice cereal. If you prefer a slightly firmer rice krispie square (my preference) use 5 cups of crispy rice cereal
Serving: 1large square (recipe makes 9 large squares) | Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 304IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg