Hearty and bursting with delicious spices you cannot go wrong with this dish! You can pick up some store-bought vegan sausages or make your own homemade ones. Or if you prefer just omit them! Every way is good.
- 4 vegan sausages (store-bought or homemade) sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 rib(s) celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper (less or more for spice)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup(s) white rice uncooked
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 14oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet and place over medium heat. Place the vegan sausages into the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer to a small plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, and oregano, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Next, add the tomatoes, rice, bay leaves, and vegetable broth and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring often. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the kidney beans and the cooked sausage. Continue to cook until warmed through.
- Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with green onions, parsley, and hot sauce if desired. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 579mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1940IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg