Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
This homemade Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream recipe is creamy, silky, and bursting with chocolaty flavor. Just 6 ingredients and a few minutes is all it takes! There are instructions for making the ice cream in an ice cream machine but there is a no ice cream maker option as well.
Servings: (makes about 3 cups or 1 ½ pints)
- 1 ½ cup(s) raw cashews softened if needed, see step 1
- 1 3/4 cup(s) plant-based chocolate milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1/2 cup(s) white sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) instant espresso powder (optional, but boosts chocolaty taste)
Softening the cashews (optional):
- Softening the cashews helps them blend properly. If you have a high-powered blender you can skip this step, but if not, this step is important to get smooth and creamy ice cream. To soften the cashews add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse cashews before using.
To make the ice cream:
- Prepare your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. I have this Cuisinart ice cream maker which I love. No ice cream maker technique: if you do not have an ice cream maker, make the ice cream base as directed then follow the directions in this post: How to Make Ice Cream in a Blender.
- Add the cashews, plant-based chocolate milk, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and espresso powder (if using) to your blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides if needed. Make sure that the cashews are completely blended and no bits remain.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn the ice cream for about 25 minutes until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Enjoy immediately, or for firmer ice cream, spread into a sealable container and freeze for 2 hours or overnight until firm. Scoop and enjoy! Store leftover dairy-free ice cream in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Add-ins: if you want to incorporate any add-ins such as broken-up cookies, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, mini vegan marshmallows, peanuts, a peanut butter swirl, or frozen berries, pour them into the ice cream maker in the last 5 minutes of churning. Ninja Creami technique: pour the blended mixture evenly among two Ninja Creami pints. Freeze overnight. Use the Ice Cream setting Chocolate milk substitute: if you do not have plant-based chocolate milk on hand, substitute equal amounts of plain plant-based milk and add an extra tablespoon of cocoa powder.
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 293mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 29IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 3mg