Coconut Chickpea Rice Bake
A comforting and flavorful meal that's both easy to make and satisfying! Serve with a side salad or some cooked greens.
- 1 cup(s) uncooked rice
- 1 14oz can(s) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 rib(s) celery finely diced
- 5 oz button or cremini mushrooms chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can)
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To a 9 x 13” (23x33cm) casserole dish, add the rice, chickpeas, onion, garlic, celery, and mushrooms. Mix the ingredients together and spread evenly across the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Place the vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper into a medium pot and bring to a boil. Pour the hot coconut milk broth into the casserole dish and cover with aluminium foil or another heat-safe cover. Place the dish in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the oven and set it aside to rest for 5 minutes, then uncover. Top with parsley and serve warm. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Coconut milk substitute: if you cannot have coconut milk, try subbing it with another rich plant-based milk such as cashew cream.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 432mg | Potassium: 360mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 278IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg