Vegan Carbonara with Oyster Mushroom Bacon
Carbonara is traditionally made with eggs and bacon. This version uses creamy cashews and seasoned oyster mushooms to mimic the flavors and textures. Hello yum!!!
- 1 cup(s) raw cashews (softened if needed, see step 1)
- 7 oz spaghetti (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 9 oz oyster mushrooms sliced into strips (sub other mushroom if preferrd)
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 2 shallots diced (sub 1 small yellow onion if preferred)
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup(s) water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen peas
Softening the cashews (optional):
- Softening the cashews first helps them blend. If you have a high-powered blender you can skip this step, but if not, this step is important to get smooth and creamy sauce. To soften the cashews add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender. Drain and rinse cashews before using.
To make the carbonara:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and fry the mushrooms with the smoked paprika for 5-7 minutes until browned. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set them on paper towel to drain.
- In the same skillet, sauté the shallots and garlic for about 3-4 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Transfer shallots and garlic to your blender. Add the cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and water to the blender until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add a little more water to thin it down. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked pasta into the pot, add the sauce and gently heat. Then add the peas, half of the mushrooms and toss together to coat the pasta.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls, garnish with the remaining mushrooms and season with a little more salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 778mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 417IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 4mg