Tofu Noodle Stir Fry
Skip the take out and instead make these noodles at home! Bonus points: this is a great dish to use up leftover veggies.
- 10 oz thick rice noodles
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 3 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) Sriracha (or similar hot sauce)
For the tofu:
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu cubed
- 1/3 cup(s) corn starch
- 3 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable) plus more if needed
For the vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced into ribbons or matchsticks
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 handfuls bean sprouts
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) peanuts chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss the tofu in the cornstarch, shaking off the excess cornstarch. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are golden brown, a couple of minutes on each side. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- Return the pan to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil if needed. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the earlier prepared sauce and noodles, and cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add in the tofu and bean sprouts, and gently mix until well combined. Remove from heat and top with the green onions, peanuts, and a wedge of lime.
Oil-free: to make oil free bake the tofu instead of frying it. To do this, preheat your oven to 325F (170C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the tofu with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Spread the tofu on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stopping to stir a few times, until the tofu is golden brown. Omit the oil when sautéing the veg and instead do a water or broth sauté. Nut-free: to make nut-free, omit the peanut butter and replace it with tahini. Omit the peanuts and instead use 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 654kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 1145mg | Potassium: 531mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 5200IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 3mg