The Best Vegan Sandwich Bread
Perfectly fluffy, tender, and strong enough to hold your sandwich toppings. Learn how to make the best vegan sandwich bread from scratch with just 7 simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
Servings: loaf (about 16 slices)
- 1/2 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) white sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon(s) instant yeast (one packet)
- 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) vegan butter melted
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- Activate the yeast: mix the plant-based milk and water together and heat in the microwave for about 60 seconds until warm- think bath water temperature. (110F if using a thermometer). Pour the warmed milk/water into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and yeast, and whisk. Cover with a clean dish towel and set aside for 5 - 10 minutes. After resting it should be very foamy, continue to the next step.
- Make the dough: add the flour, melted vegan butter, and salt to the yeast mixture and stir to form a shaggy dough. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface, and knead for 5 - 6 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. I like to knead by hand but you can alternatively do this in a stand mixer with a dough hook, or in a bread machine on the dough setting.
- 1st rise: lightly grease a large clean mixing bowl with a bit of oil or more melted vegan butter. Drop the dough ball into the ball and turn it a few times to coat the ball in the oil. Cover with a clean dish towel and set somewhere warm to rise for 1 hour. The oven with just the oven light turned on is a great place.
- Shape the loaf: once the dough has risen it should be about double the size. Punch the dough down. Lightly flour a clean work surface, then roll the dough and stretch it so that it is a rectangle that is about 8" x 15". Starting from the shorter side of the rectangle, roll the dough up into a log (this creates the swirl in the bread). Lightly grease a 4" x 8" loaf pan and place the rolled-up dough inside. There may be space around the dough and that's totally ok, it will expand into the pan.
- 2nd rise: cover with a clean dish towel and again, set somewhere warm to rise for 1 hour.
- Bake the bread: after the dough has risen the second time, preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Remove the dishtowel and bake the dough in the loaf pan uncovered for 30 - 35 minutes until dark golden brown on top. Carefully remove it from the pan and allow it to cool on a rack.
Make-ahead/storage: Allow the bread to cool completely. Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 10 days, or you can freeze it.
Serving: 1slice (recipe makes 16 slices) | Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 164IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan