The Best Easy Hummus Recipe
After years of recipe testing, I'm finally sharing with you my recipe for the Best Easy Hummus! This hummus recipe is extra creamy, super delicious, oil-free, requires no peeling, and so much better than store-bought. (It's quick and easy to make too)!
Servings: servings (makes 3 cups)
For the hummus:
- 1 19oz can chickpeas (2 cups) see step 1 for prep
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 6 tablespoon(s) tahini
- 3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 4 ice cubes
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) water (if needed)
Toppings and sides:
- Optional garnishes for hummus: a drizzle of olive oil, chopped parsley, smoked paprika, everything bagel seasoning, freshly ground black pepper, or chopped chives.
- To serve with hummus: pita triangles, veggie sticks, crackers, or bread.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well. Add the chickpeas and baking soda to a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 20 minutes until the chickpeas are super tender and some chickpea skins are floating in the water.
- Drain and rinse well with cold water to cool down the chickpeas. The chickpeas will be falling apart and many of the skins will have come off.
- Add the cooled chickpeas along with any chickpea skins to a blender. Add the tahini, lemon juice, ice cubes, garlic, salt, and cumin. Blend, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, until completely smooth and creamy. If needed, you can add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour into a bowl or serving dish and enjoy plain or garnish with any optional toppings and serve with your favorite dipper. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. The hummus will get even more flavorful overnight in the fridge.
Cooking Chickpeas from Scratch: If you are cooking chickpeas from scratch, add the baking soda to the water and cook them longer until the skins start to come off and the chickpeas as super tender (an extra 10 - 20 minutes). Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 1 cup of dried chickpeas.
Serving: 1 serving (about 1/4 cup) (recipe makes 12 servings) | Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 13IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg