Thai-inspired Pineapple Fried Rice
Sweet and savory, this fried rice is a fave! The perfect way to use leftover rice. Make sure you use cold rice as it will result in the best texture.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as coconut or vegetable) divided
- 1 12oz block(s) medium-firm, firm, or extra-firm tofu crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pineapple chopped (I use canned)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 5 green onions sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 2 cup(s) cooked rice chilled
- 1/2 cup(s) roasted cashews roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) Sriracha (optional for spice)
- 1 lime halved
- 2 tablespoon(s) cilantro to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large wok or non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tofu and sauté, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, around 2-3 minutes. Then transfer the tofu to a large bowl and set it aside.
- Return the pan to the stove and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the pineapple and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the pineapple has caramelized around the edges, about 3-5 minutes. Then add the green onions and garlic, and cook for a further 30 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with the tofu.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining coconut oil to the wok. Add in the cashews and cook for about 30 seconds. Next, add the cooked brown rice, stir to combine and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl back into the pan, along with the cashews, soy sauce, Sriracha, and squeeze in half of the lime juice, then stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Remove from the heat. Slice the remaining 1⁄2 lime into 4 wedges. Serve the rice with lime wedges and cilantro.
Cashew substitute: replace with roasted peanuts or omit them if preferred.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 636kcal | Carbohydrates: 121g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 69mg | Potassium: 349mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 65g | Vitamin A: 1124IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg