Sweet Potato and Bean Bake
Healthy and delicious with all your favorite Mexican flavors easily baked together in a single casserole dish! This recipe is also gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and great for meal prep!
Servings: - 6 servings
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 14oz can(s) diced tomatoes (1 2/3 cups)
- 1/4 cup(s) tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika more to season layers
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin more to season layers
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano more to season layers
For the sweet potatoes and black beans:
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into thin layers about 1/4" thick
- 2 14oz can(s) black beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup Homemade Vegan Nacho Cheese (or 3/4 cup store-bought vegan cheddar cheese)
- 1 handful fresh parsley roughly chopped
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato puree, smoked paprika, cumin, and dried oregano. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickens.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Spread half of the prepared tomato sauce at the bottom of a baking dish.
- 1Place a layer of sweet potato on the tomato sauce overlapping slightly—season with salt, oregano, and smoked paprika. Next, spread 1 can of black beans on top of the potato. Follow with another layer of sweet potato, and season with salt, oregano, and smoked paprika. Spread the second can of black beans followed by a third layer of sweet potato. Again season with salt, oregano, and smoked paprika. Finally, top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover with a piece of tinfoil and bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the sweet potato is cooked through. Dollop the vegan nacho cheese on top or sprinkle grated vegan cheese (if using store-bought) and bake without cover for another 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is gooey. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Oil-free: to make oil-free, omit the olive oil and do a water or broth sauté instead. Make the homemade nacho cheese (which is oil-free) or use your favorite oil-free vegan cheese shreds.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 549kcal | Carbohydrates: 96g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 324mg | Potassium: 1622mg | Fiber: 25g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 24915IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 7mg