Sweet and Sour Tempeh
Tastes like takeout, but healthier! Serve this on a bed of fluffy rice or cooked rice noodles. If you are not a fan of tempeh you can sub the tempeh for extra-firm tofu.
- 14 oz tempeh cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup(s) pineapple tidbits canned in juice (save juice for sauce recipe)
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) sesame seeds
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup(s) pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple)
- ¼ cup(s) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon(s) agave or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh ginger minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Cook the tempeh until golden brown. Once the tempeh is golden, pour water into the pan to cover half the height of the tempeh pieces and steam on low heat until all the water has evaporated. (Steaming the tempeh helps remove the bitterness). Remove the tempeh from the pot and set it aside.
- While the tempeh is steaming, mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set it aside.
- Once the tempeh is removed from the pan, return the pan to a medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot and cook the red onion, bell peppers, and pineapple for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked tempeh back into the pot and pour the sweet and sour sauce over the vegetables. Lower the heat and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened slighlty.
- Serve the sweet and sour tempeh, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds. Best served over steamed rice or rice noodles.
Oil-free: to make oil-free, skip browning the tempeh and instead just steam it in water as directed. Omit the oil and instead sauté the veggies using water or broth. Tempeh substitute: if you prefer, substitute the tempeh for a block of extra-firm tofu. Brown the tofu, and then remove it from the pan (there is no need to steam it). Then return it to the pan along with the sauce.
Serving: 1serving not including rice or noodles (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 802mg | Potassium: 771mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 1223IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 4mg