Spicy Cranberry Salsa
Just 5 minutes and 7 ingredients is all it takes to make this easy holiday appetizer! Cranberry salsa is fresh, tart, sweet, spicy, and super flavorful. This salsa tastes best when it rests in the fridge overnight making it a great make-ahead recipe. Serve it alone with tortilla chips or crackers, or you can pour it over a block of vegan cream cheese for a tart and creamy treat.
Servings: makes about 2 cups
For the Cranberry Salsa:
- 12 oz fresh cranberries (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) white sugar
- 6 green onions roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 1 - 2 jalapeños (depending on spice preference) seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon(s) salt
- tortilla chips or crackers
- vegan cream cheese (optional)
- jalapeno slices, cilantro, or green onions (optional for garnish)
- Add the cranberries, sugar, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, 1 jalapeño, and salt to a food processor. Pulse several times, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, until everything is mixed and the cranberries are chopped up but still have a bit of texture. Taste, and add more jalapeño if desired depending on how spicy you like it.
- Allow the cranberry salsa to rest for at least 15 minutes (or overnight is best), to allow the sugar to dissolve and the flavors to deepen. Stir again before serving. Serve the salsa as is or you could alternatively pour the salsa on top of vegan cream cheese for a beautiful creamy tart combo. Enjoy with tortilla chips or crackers. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Sugar substitute: cranberries are very tart so you definitely need to add sweetness to this salsa to make it tasty. If you prefer to avoid granulated sugar, you can swap it for a sweetener you prefer, adjusting the sweetness to taste as needed.
Serving: 1serving without chips or vegan cream cheese (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.01g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.04g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 241IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.3mg